Automation Anywhere Interview Questions & Answers
FAQ – Automation Anywhere (AA)
1. What is Automation Anywhere?
AA is Robotic Process Automation product which can be used to automate your manual efforts to do any process/transaction.
2. What are the unique features of AA?
Intelligent automation for business and IT tasks.
Unique SMART Automation Technology® automates complex tasks fast! (No programming required.)
Create automation tasks in minutes – record keyboard and mouse strokes, or use easy point-and- click wizards.
Easily distribute tasks to multiple computers, using Task to SMART Exe capability (Premier and
Enterprise editions only).
Web recorder / Web data extraction.
Use Automation Anywhere to automate scripts in disparate formats.
Powerful task scheduling and auto-login – run scheduled tasks anytime, even when computer is locked.
270+ actions including: conditional, loop, prompt, file management, database, system, Internet.
More great features: fast speeds, automatic email notification, task chaining, hotkey, variables, logging, etc.
3. What are the Capabilities of AA?
Automation Anywhere can reduce a wide array of tasks to a single keystroke:
a. Business processes b. Web tasks
c. Data transfer
d. Data import/export (from any application, to any application, or from files)
e. Web data extraction
f. Fast data entry and formatting
g. IT and system administration tasks h. Data backup and file management
i. Integrate disparate scripts, or replace existing scripts j. Job scheduling
k. Batch data processing
l. Automated software testing, Web testing m. Automated FTP
4. What are the Benefits of AA?
a. Very easy to use
b. Eliminates human error
c. Increases transaction speed
d. Huge savings in time and costs
e. Automation Technology is highly reliable and accurate.
5. What are the System Requirements?
Supported Operating Systems
Windows 2008 R2, Windows Server 2003, Windows 7 and later versions
For Enterprise Control Room Component
Intel Pentium i5 or i7 having 3.0 GHz or higher
4 GB of RAM
100 MB free space on hard drive for installation
1024 x 768 or higher resolution monitor
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
For Enterprise Client Component
Intel Pentium i5 or i7 having 3.0 GHz or higher
4 GB of RAM
100 MB free space on hard drive for installation
1024 x 768 or higher resolution monitor
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
6. How do I record a task using Automation Anywhere?
You can easily create new task using SMART task recorder. Click ‘RECORD’; perform the activities on your computer that you want to record, click ‘STOP’ and then ‘SAVE’ the recorded activities
to a task. You can playback your recorded actions by selecting the task and then click the ‘RUN’ button.
7. Does it matter if the window size and locations of my applications change between recording and running?
No. Automation Anywhere’s SMART Automation Technology automatically adjust to changes of window size and location.
8. Do I need to finish all my work in one application before moving onto the next application or can I switch back and forth between various applications while recording?
You can switch back and forth between various applications while recording.
9. Can Automation Anywhere work if computer is locked? Can I record a task to unlock the computer?
Yes. Automation Anywhere offers secure Auto Login technology. Auto Login allows scheduled tasks to run even when computer is locked. When you schedule a task you can enable Auto Login capability. If Auto Login in enabled, and if computer is locked, Automation Anywhere will unlock the computer, run the task and lock it back.
10. Is it possible to execute a task in stealth mode when computer is locked?
Yes. To enable the task to run in stealth mode check Properties Security; Run this task in stealth mode option. This will hide the execution of the task. To allow the task to run when computer is locked, enable Auto Login capability. Auto Login allows scheduled tasks to run even when computer is locked. When you schedule a task you can enable Auto Login capability.
11. Can I stop the task while it is running?
Yes. Press ‘Pause’ on your keyboard. This will temporarily stop the execution of the task. Click on the ‘Resume’ button that will appear at the bottom right hand corner of your screen to continue running the task from where it was paused.
12. Can my recorded activity run in background, while I have control of mouse and keyboard so that
I can do other things?
One of the distinguishing features of Automation Anywhere is its ability to run tasks in background. Advanced technologies like Web recorder, Object recorder and hundreds of powerful actions allow you to run many of your tasks in background. Few tasks like task recorded with standard recorder requires control of mouse and keyboard and therefore cannot run in background. Few other obvious exceptions include commands that requires screen, like taking screenshots or comparing images on the screen, but a vast majority of actions allow the task to run in the background.
13. I use remote access software to access a remote machine. Can I record a task that performs activities using remote access software?
Yes. Automation Anywhere supports all the remote access software.
14. I recorded task on ‘abc.xls’ but I want to run it on xyz.xls, how do I do that?
You can run the same task with different files of the same program. By default the task will only
run on the specific file(s) it was recorded on. However you can check ‘Enable this task to run
with other similar files and windows’ option under the Properties, General tab. Now for example if you recorded a task on abc.xls, you can run this task on def.xls, xyz.xls or any other *.xls files
15. Is it possible to password protect my task?
Yes, it is possible to password protect a task. While saving the task click on the Password Protection checkbox and specify the password. Alternatively, you can password protect a saved task by going into the Security tab in the main screen of Automation Anywhere.
16. How do I use a variable in the task?
You can use variable inside different commands like ‘Insert Keystroke’, ‘Open Program/File’,
‘Files/Folders’. In all the commands variable names are specified by enclosing the variable
names in between the $ sign. For e.g. $Password$
17. If I create a variable for one task, can I use it in another task?
Variables created for one task are only available locally for that task and not for any other task. But, if you have upgraded from a lower version to version 5.5 and above, all the variables created in the lower versions will be available to you as global variables that can be used with any task.
18. List variable can have many different text values. When I use the list variable which value will be executed?
Every time a task comes across a list variable during the playback, the next text value in the sequence of the list variable is used. If the list variable reaches the last text value then its subsequent reference will return the first text value.
19. Is it possible to store special characters like Tab key in a variable?
Yes, you can store any special character as a text value in a variable.
20. I have to run a task that needs to use a different value for a variable in every repeat. How do I do that with your automation software?
Automation Anywhere provides “Loop – End Loop” commands. You can place your repetitive task inside a Loop – End Loop block. You can use a List variable inside it for data that keeps on changing with each loop.
21. What are these System Variables $CurrentDirectory$, $FolderName$ and $FileName$
These system variables are used with commands ‘Loop for Folders in a folder’ or ‘Loop for Files in a folder’.
Consider a command in the task – “Loop for Folders in a <folder>”.
Here the <folder> is the specified folder on which the Loop will execute. Its full path is available at execution time by the system variable “$CurrentDirectory$”
If <folder> has ‘n’ number of folders, the loop will be executed ‘n’ times. Each time the
$FolderName$ variable will have the next folder’s name inside the specified folder. Now if the task is like “Loop for Files in a <folder>”.
Then $FileName$ will represent the next file name inside the specified folder.
Outside the loop $CurrentDirectory$, $FolderName$ and $FileName$ doesn’t have any usage.
22. Can I create a file with any extension?
Yes, you can create file with any extension using the ‘Create File’ sub command in the Files/Folders commandIf I use a Files / Folders command like “Delete Files ‘c:\MyPrgs\*.*’ “, will this delete all the files in the subfolders too?
No, this command will delete all the files in the current folder only. In the above example it will delete all the files in ‘c:\MyPrgs’ directory only
23. Can I get all the file names in a folder to perform some operation on it?
Yes, you can use the “Loop for Files in a folder; Here $FileName$ will have next filename inside the specified folder in each Loop execution. You can use this System variable to perform any operation inside the Loop – End Loop block
24. Can I provide value for file/folder name when the task runs?
Yes. Automation Anywhere has a ‘Prompt’ command to provide value at run time. You can provide value for any window, prompt for file/folder and even prompt for yes/no as well
25. Will my task run correctly even if files, program shortcut icons in the Quick Launch and the
Desktop have moved?
Apart from a few exceptions, opening of most of the files and shortcut icons from both Quick Launch and Desktop will run correctly if the icons have moved from their original location. Note that, the ‘Move Icons/Menus’ should be checked in Tools; Options menu for this feature to be enabled
26. What is E-mail Notification?
You can use E-mail notification when you want to be notified that a task has finished running. An e-mail will be sent to the addressed specified along with the status of the task that was running and few other properties
27. What is this ‘Email Settings’ displayed in the Notification tab in the properties window?
This Button will open up the Options user interface that allows you to set the outgoing mail server, its port number and Exchange Server authentications, if any. Every mail that you send or receive requires the mail server. You have to obtain this information from your Internet E-mail provider or you may obtain it from the configuration section of your e-mail program
28. Does your automation software provide any facility to send an email?
Yes, Automation Anywhere provides a command ‘Send mail’. You can use this command to send e-mails to anyone. Note that this command will get information about the e-mail Server, its port number and Exchange Server authentications, if any, from the Mail Setting in the Options menu every time a task runs
29. I have been using VBScripts and JScript to accomplish some of my routine work. Can I somehow reuse them in your automation software?
Yes. Not only you can integrate disparate scripts like VBScripts & JScripts within an Automation Anywhere task but you can use in-built automation services like repeat, notification, etc., on VBScript & JScripts as well.
30. How do I know if my Script ran without any Error?
You can use the ‘If Script Successful’ subcommand inside the ‘If command’. This command will run the script and will execute the ‘If – End If’ block only if the script ran successfully
31. Can I run many tasks in a batch?
Yes, you can create a new task in which you can use ‘Run Task’ command to run your individual
32. When I use ‘Run Task’ command, how do I know if the task successfully completed?
You can use the ‘If Task Successful’ subcommand inside the ‘If command’. This command will run the task and will execute the ‘If – End If’ block only if the task ran successfully
33. Can I execute certain commands only if a window exists?
Yes. There are number of conditions in IF command. One of them is “If Window Exists
34. Is it possible for me to know if one of my software is running or not? I want to do certain action only if that software is running.
Yes, you can use If Condition (If Application Running) to see if any application is running or not. You can specify the exe name that you want to test in the If condition.
35. What is a Loop Command?
A loop command allows repeated execution of a group of commands when these commands are placed inside the ‘Loop – End Loop’ block. The number of the times these commands are executed will depend on the type of Loop command selected. The ‘Loop – End Loop’ block might also contain within it another ‘Loop – End Loop’ block i.e. nested loop commands
36. I want to do particular action on all the folders inside a folder. How do I do that using your automation software?
You can use the Loop command (Start Loop “Each folder in ‘folder’) in Automation Anywhere. If there are ‘n’ folders in the specified folder then this loop will be executed ‘n’ times. You can get each folder’s name using the $FolderName$ system variable inside this loop block
37. What is a Web Recorder?
Web Recorder reliably and accurately records and automates web based tasks. Automation Anywhere Web Recorder understands all the web controls. You can open or close browser, perform clicks, fill forms, import data from the web, download files, extract data, extract source, check for broken links and much more
38. What is web data extraction? How do you extract data with Web Recorder?
Extracting structured or unstructured data from the Internet automatically with the help of scripts. Automation Anywhere as a data extraction or screen scraping software is both flexible to suit any kind of web technology or page format and is also non-intrusive.
39. How do you check for broken links with Web Recorder?
40. To check for broken links with Web Recorder, go to Task Editor and select Web Recorder. Find Broken Links command. Enter the URL and specify if you want the entire website to be checked or just the specified webpage. Enter the path of the file to save the results and click Save. Automation Anywhere will check for broken links as specified. You can schedule to run this task at pre-defined time
41. What is Manage Web Control?
To capture image links, radio buttons, text boxes, check boxes and other web controls Automation Anywhere Web Recorder -> Manage Web Controls allows capture of web controls and assign them variables
42. What is Workflow Designer?
Workflow Designer allows you to create an easy to understand, intuitive graphical representation of an IT or a business processes
43. How do I run workflows?
Running a workflow is very easy. Just click on the Run button in the Workflow Designer. The other option is to click on the workflow in ‘MyWorkflow’ file in the Task List and click Run. On running the workflow through the Workflow Designer, it highlights the part of the workflow that is being carried out. Once, the workflow has completed running, it highlights the complete path taken
44. How to use and manage Windows Controls to get checkbox or radio button status in
45. Manage Windows Controls command allows you to work with windows controls like checkboxes and radio buttons. With this command you can find out if the radio button or check box is checked or not. Automation Anywhere supports only standard Windows checkboxes and radio buttons.
46. Does a task recorded using MWC work in the background?
Yes. A task recorded using MWC works in the background
47. Why aren’t some controls highlighted when I try to capture them using MWC?
Capture standard Windows control using MWC. Client controls and Java are not supported by
MWC. In such cases, controls are not highlighted
48. Can I get the snapshot and/or log data into file when error occurs?
Yes, Automation Anywhere Premier has advanced error handling capabilities. You can select action like Continue or Stop Task. You can specify error handling options like Take Snapshot, Run Task, Log data into file, Send Email and Variable Assignment
49. What are the different types of Licenses?
Development, Runtime, Control Room, METABot
50. How can I Procure Licenses?
Please raise the request on https://licencemanagementaa.accenture.com/ (LMS)
51. Do I have access to LMS portal?
By default you may not have access to LMS. Please reach out your Supervisor.
52. Is WBSe is required when raising the request for License?
Yes is it mandatory
53. Can I get learn on using Developer license?
No, Please reach out to your supervisor
54. Can I share License file to others?
No you cannot share the license files to others.
55. Client Related
What are all the environments AA will support for deployment?
Citrix: Ideally AA should be deployed inside Citrix environment and it cannot be installed in Citrix server as it doesn’t support multithreaded application. It should be installed in VM machine or Physical machine and access should be given through Citrix environment.
Thin client Citrix: AA doesn’t support for thin client. AA can be installed outside Citrix environment. Automation should be done using Clicks and Image Recognition.
Tick Client Citrix: AA should be inside Citrix environment only
VDI: AA should be inside VDI environment only
RDP: AA should be inside RDP environment only
56. Can we use one CR and multiple Run / Dev licenses? Yes
57. Can we get one licenses for multiple users? Yes
58. AA posted some wrong values / if it is processed wrong transactions who is the responsible?
Generally, while development necessary validations are implemented to make sure wrong postings are not added to production environment.
59. On what basis AA interacting with the client applications? AA will interact with UI Layer, so it will not impact any client applications data
60. Is it possible to create database in tool? No
61. How to procure Licenses?
For Internal Operations Licenses can be procured by raising request in LMS tool and incase of RPAasS or external client related work separate request to be sent to AA Support team. Licenses are procured separately. Cost of licenses for external clients vary from internal.
62. Does AA Store any client related Data?
AA Doesn’t store any client related information.
63. Is AA transfer data to external servers or systems?
AA will not transfer any process related data.
64. Is AA server based application?
It is a Server Client Architecture based application. Control room acts as server to manage all the clients.
65. Can AA be deployed in Virtual environment?
Yes; it can be deployed.
66. Can Accenture have rights to deploy AA product in Client environments?
Accenture is authorized to deploy AA product in client environment for process managed by Accenture. This product should only be used by Accenture representative members. Client side team members cannot use for production related work other than deployment, testing etc..
67. Can Accenture resale the AA licenses to client?
Accenture can resale the licenses and reach out the Digitization leadership for more details.
68. Do we have any workaround to install and automate the process in Terminal server?
We can install VM server on terminal server and spin multiple VMs as per the requirement. AA requires dedicated OS per user and this is possible using VMs. Shared OS model like installing AA on Server and share across multiple users is currently not supported.
69. Licensing solution for shared hosted environment.
License would be required “per user per system” basis.
70. Is SAP objects can be recognized using Automation Anywhere Object cloning , IR be recognized
71. Do we need SAP Scripting to be enabled to use Taskbot , Metabot ?
72. Do we need Taskbot license when we are using Metabot
73. Is Metabot license separate from Taskbot?
74. What kind of access is required for SAP & AA to run in a particular instance
We need to have same access i.e AA & SAP should run with admin / normal user access
Hello all! I’m a nature’s child, who loves the wild, bringing technical knowledge to you restyled.